St. John’s Helpful Shop
101 Capitola Avenue
Capitola, CA 95010
Located at the corner of Monterey and Capitola Avenues in Capitola Village, St. John's Helpful Shop was begun in 1953 by the women of the church to raise money for a new church carpet. As the church grew and no longer needed the income from the shop, it became a vital part of St. John’s outreach program. All net proceeds (usually around $20,000 per year) are given back to the community in the form of grants to local non-profits.
Faithful volunteers from the church and the community receive and resell “clean, gently used items,” in good condition, donated by parishioners and community members. Volunteers are enthusiastic about the benefits they receive from their time at the shop. Besides providing quality clothing and small household items at an affordable price, the volunteers provide smiles and listening ears for the many who drop in to visit and “pass the time of day.”
The Helpful Shop is overseen by the church's priest, with the help of a volunteer Management Team of parishioners.
Helpful Shop Management Team:
The Rev. Tracy J. Wells Miller, rector
Bill Kell, senior warden
How to Help:
2018 Helpful Shop Grant Recipients
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Santa Cruz County
Building for Generations
CERT Auxiliary of SC County
Conflict Resolution Center
Daughters of the King
Elm Street Mission
English as a Second Language program at St. John's
For Kids Foundation
Helping Hands Sr. Home Repair
Homeless Services Center
Hospice of Santa Cruz
Kairos, Salinas Valley
Literacy Program of the Volunteer Center of S.C. Co.
Mesa Verde Gardens
Native Animal Rescue
Pajaro Valley Community Health Trust
Pajaro Valley Loaves and Fishes
Positive Discipline Community Resources
Pregnancy Resources Center of S.C.C.
Royal Families Kids Camp
Teen Kitchen Project
Wings Homeless Advocacy